Our friend, Barry at Breakaway Running wrote this great list of reminders that we wanted to share with you.
Here are a few things most of us know but don't ALWAYS put into practice to be safe when we're running:
1. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings.
2. Trust your instincts. Run away from situations and people that "don't feel right".
3. Don't wear headphones.
4. Run facing traffic when on the street.
5. Alter your routes.
6. Run with others when possible.
7. Carry pepper spray or mace.
8. Let someone know your route / estimated time to return.
9. Learn self-defense.
10. Be seen. Wear reflective gear at night.
Here are some ideas of great reflective gear available to make sure you are seen. (Reflective vest, headlamp, and red flashing safety light)
Remember, safety first!