Someone once asked me "What would your dream marathon be like?" I have thought about it, brainstormed about it, and even dreamed about it. After running a number of race both in the 901 and beyond it's fun to dream about what I would want if I were to create a race.
Here are some of the things I would want in my dream marathon ...
1. Being a night owl and a Christmas fan, I would love to run in a night marathon at Christmas time. A couple of years ago we made our own night race on 11-11-11 at 11:11 p.m. for my sister's birthday and it was so much fun at night. It's a different feel, I can't explain but just quiet and laid back.
2. I would want all 26.2 miles to be lined with Christmas lights and spectators to b very Merry! Yes, ALL 26.2 miles! I'd want the route to be lit up on GoogleMaps and heard for miles!
3. Since we have set the stage for a Christmas race, I'd love for it to be in NYC. Central
Park outlined in lights combined with the lights of Broadway, Time Square, and the store windows down 5th Avenue.
4. I want snow flakes falling (it's a dream so it could still be the perfect run temp of about 50 degrees and snow!)! I've run in the rain and the heat but never in real soft snowflakes (snow in the 901 does not count ... it's either slushy or little ice pellets).
5. Did I mention my dream course would be 26.2 miles of FLAT course? No inclines...anywhere.
6. I'd have Christmas music at every mile because it is truly the Most Wonderful Time of Year!
7. Of course, my dream marathon would have the best medal ever!! I think it should be 26.2 inches in diameter and have a Christmas tree on it.
8. To go with the medal there would be awesome race gear! Everyone would get a race t-shirt with an awesome design. You know what? Let's go with an all girl race just so we can have a cute t-shirt and not worry about being gender neutral!!
9. Everyone would finish and there would be a cool NIKE pullover with the word FINISHER on it and thumbholes, of course! And we wouldn't run out!
10. In my dream race there would be NO WALL.
11. I almost forgot, at every water station there would be candy, candy corn, candy canes, and syrup!
The list could go on and on. Maybe someday the Girls Run the 901 will get the opportunity to create a dream marathon!
We want to know, what would you want in your dream marathon?